Tuesday 27 April 2010

Mass Debate should = mass appeal

So, I went out last night. That happens. I went to a debate only the second in my history not including school. The first was about art in the public eye and whether it has a role in Community (with a capital 'C' apparently).

This one was called Instigate Debate - 'is the Party over'. Not only did they manage to lure me by offering a blend of interesting political topics, (despite me utter dissolution with politics, political discussion and politicians), music and comedy.

Simon Hughes MP was outstanding to watch and listen to. He was not aloof and patronising his points were based around tangible (seeming) facts. He did not spend any time cursing the other parties, merely 'preached' what he and his party (Lib Dems) believed WHICH, I think is the closest to representing the newer, under-30s generations. They are our future. It has nothing to do with the fact that I suddenly like the colour yellow either.

Harriet Harmann MP who, personally, I feel epitomises the ruinous, archaic political system we languish in. She was eloquent and a good speaker, actually made a point I clapped at one stage BUT, I'm sorry, she, in no way, inspired confidence. Merely reinforced disillusion.

Peter Tactchell MP was as I expected. Slightly militant, shared many view of the common person but SADLY prioritised what seems to be unachieveable goals over substantial improvement for the greater good. What do I mean? Too much dreaming perhaps?

There was the Tory MP for Putney there - she filled in for an absent Vivienne Westwood (gutted she wasn't there). I forget her name. Sadie or Susie of something. AWFUL. I am genuinely surprised she is allowed out of her cage. She embarrassed herself and her party. Bless her.

So, honestly, the main reason I considered turning up was to see Shlomo... no, sorry...SHLOMO... [where's sparkle-text when you need it]. If this man was a political party, I'd vote for him. If he was a car, i'd buy him, if he was food... i'd errmmmm... cook him? Maybe? In a nice way? Not only is he clearly the most humble, genuinely intelligent and unnaturally musically gifted but he is also one of the coolest innovators music has at the moment. I could spend most of my day waxing lyrical about why this gentleman is the perfect representative of a generation. Y'know what. I might... later. If have been lucky enough to follow his rise to cult sub-culture hero for the last few years and would happily recommend him to *extreme deep voice* ANNNYYYYYBBBOOODDDYYY. Almost all his performances rank in my 'top 10' (I hate to pigeon hole but hyperbole is a useful maiden sometimes) greatest gigs. Now. I'm almost done with him. Go See Him. Capital Letters Should Not Be Used Willy Nilly.

There where two fine young comedic gentlemen by the name of The Amazing Tommy and the Weeks who were. Funny. I did the laugh out loud thing a few times as did a few others.

I can't let this go by without mentioning the Union Chapel (Project). Beautiful venue. Easy area. No complaints really, apart from the hardness of the pew-based seating which I assume adds to the whole angry religiousness of chapels/churches. I thank them for their ingenuity. It's is rare that you turn up to a place and fall in love instantly. It even induced a moment of "maybe church isn't SO bad". If I am honest, and it seems there is not point in being anything but, I am not ANTI-religion, I just do not think that it is relevant to our continually developing modern society. That is all I have to say about that.

We left after Shlo to get some food. Down the road. At a restaurant called Isarn. T.A.S.T.Y. Recommend. Pressed the iLike button in my brain. Do it

No comments:

Post a Comment