Sunday 24 October 2010

James. Blake. (full stop)

So, I stumbled across a dude called James Blake (I don’t think he’s a tennis player). He makes music.

He’s some form of mix between melancholia (yeah, turns out that’s a word) and really smooth – like when you lick a cling filmed finger – bass. If you’ve heard of Antony Hergaty from Antony and the Johnsons you might also draw parallels there. I’ve been told by the internet that his music is dub, electronica, experimental. I prefer something with lo-fi in the description. There are definitely red moments for the equaliser BUT mainly you will take great joy in watching those little bars rumble and roll around the lower frequencies. PERSONALLY. I am MORE of a fan of his vocal stuff but he got skills so I give him times.

Checkout ‘I never learned to share’. That was my in. ‘Limit to your Love’ which is a cover of Feist’s original is sadly very good. Why sadly? Not sure. Maybe because of the song content being slightly truer as you get older. Maybe.

Sorry I’ve not been here for a while. I haven’t stopped writing/thinking/listening/opinioning but I either haven’t been publishing them or if I have they have been guerrilla posts as comments all over the shop… or in my head.

Listen to this dude. He is definitely a product of the last decade’s worth of music development.

PS. If this dude DOES turn out to be a tennis star then he is ONE. TALENTED. FELLA.

In a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment