Wednesday 16 June 2010

The Nomad Chef

I was honoured to befriend a good man (then a boy) 22 years ago. I am lucky to still have him in my life. He was born on 15th June 1983. As a result he celebrates his birthday each year on the 15th June. This year he celebrated at the Nomad Chef Secret Restaurant (Facebook group - HERE). I am not sure if you are aware of the idea of a secret restaurant BUT (token but as usual) it takes the notion of the home chef and in this case Shelly + Bruno = SUPER CHEFs. It takes their home and again, in this case - a beautiful apartment in Holland Park with a magical garden and a PERRRFECT conservatory that seats 18(ish). Add a little bit of decent company and combine... You have a secrect/underground restaurant. (I was tempted to do the whole, review as though it was a recipe but then I grew some taste.)

On a 'normal' night there is a mishmash of couples, small groups and singles all there to feed on the details that come from the adjoined kitchen. Having flicked through the previous menus, this wanders from Mexican and South American (haddock cerviche got me VERY curious) through Europe to India and the Far East. There is a large Californian feel to every part of the meal, be it eating family style for some elements or the eclectic spice influences in others.

A simple yet fitting premise is re-introducing the idea of the nomad to the seating plan. Everyone is welcome and encouraged change seats between courses and this keeps the atmosphere fresh and heightens the relaxed yet central social side of things.

It's been a while since I was that at ease wit dining out while still having the benefit of excellent company and noteworthy food. The hosts and the 'server' were pivotal to this. Their smiling happy demeanour were spot-on. They were keen to help and proud to serve while the interjections of detail and information on what we were eating and why were most welcome.

I will definitely go there again. The only reason I don't want to recommend it is to help maintain it's quiet secret romance. If you want in then go. BUT, once you've been you'll understand why I want to keep it a secret but can't help but tell you all.

I am sold. No matter what the weather, it is always warm inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment