Monday 5 July 2010

Laura Marling - she's not a fish no matter how hard I try

I went to see Laura Marling last week.

You'll have herd of her. She's the one who everyone has heard of and she is going out with one of the dudes from Mumford & Sons (everyone's heard of them as well right?). She's also very good and doing music and singing at the same time which is pretty hard especially if you play the trombone. She doesn't. She plays the guitar and the heartstrings with her beautifully delicate yet haunting vocals. I'm not altogether sure where it is the heartstrings or whether its the soulstrings but she 'connects' with you somehow.

I'll play you the first song of hers that i fell in love with...HERE


PS. Check out the official video as well. IT's KERRRWALITY.


At face value she is a pretty elfin lady who sings sweetly while she and her band play folky musics. I like this. It took me a while to fall for her because (as usual) everyone was going nuts for her and a friend said he's met her and she was a bit of a madam. I have been able to put that in the passed now. She is part of a young musical folksplosion. See Noah and the Whale, Johnny Flynn, Mumford & Sons, Peggy Sue, Emmy the Great and Florence and the Machine (to name the first few who came into my head). There seems to be no direct epicentre at the moment, BUT and I am in no means definitive in this but, BUT Ms Marling has been around for longer than I can remember any of the others (except Emmy the Great but adding that caveat doesn't sound as good).

I missed her at Glasto because I knew I was seeing her in Hyde Park. I turned up so see Peggy Sue and they did what I hoped they would. Sung/belted deep and richly absorbing harmonies over simple guitar/percussion backing. I like them and First Aid Kit - they stand out on their own in what they do and how they do it. This is a good thing. You might have heard of Fleet Foxes so you MIIIGHT have heard of First Aid Kit's cover of Tiger Mountain Pleasant. I have played it on here before so if you were listening your life will be that bit better.

We managed to bag a deck chair each - the brother and I - and I mean my sibling. I'm not being all A.A. Gill-like and referring an African American friend in the descriptive participle. I was there with my brother of the same parents (I think I dug myself out of the hole I dug myself into). Ok, so forget who I was with BUT we were sitting down, we snoozed, we listened, we did SOME looking. It was a clear-ish night... Life was VERY good at that moment. Ms Marling came on and well, the pop from the crowd said it all. She has an exponentially growing fan-base all of whom ADORE the music is a figurehead for.

Forgive me for being thin on details about this one but I went, I listened and I enjoyed BUT I did not have my thinking cap on so because I was so happily wrapped up in what I was in the presence of. Maybe that's the moral to this fable? You can listen to her on the way into work and float away (in a Zeppelin I reckon) to what she has to say, you could share a poignant moment with another being while driving somewhere magical (like M&S) or you could be lieing in your garden, facing the sky dreaming of the greater good.

This lady (she is a lady not a girl) has matured nicely since her early slightly arrogant days into someone worthy of every dribble of praise she receives (mine included). I LOVE her collaboration(s) on WATER with Johnny Flynn they work wonderfully together

I wasn't sure how I felt about her bit about NEVER doing encores but everyone has their gimmicks. I felt half-cheated half-appreciative of explanation.

What is an encore if not just an extension to the set? It could be perceived as an egotistical act. I always saw it as a little bonus or gift for the fans. I will stick to the latter. It makes me happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment