Tuesday 18 May 2010

Blog archeology

I wrote my first blog entry a few years back. It consisted of my favourite songs, albums, bands and thoughts of that year. (It's like a blog fossil). Have a read. I was going to see what I think of what I said back then, but through the 'rose' tinted spectacles of NOW...

It was originally sent at 10pm on 11th November 2008. I have copied this verbatim from the initial email I sent out.

Here it is: *cringes*

"
Here are some of my favourite bands that i have listened to am listning to alot. Mainly in the last two months. Except Postal Service.

Try some or all.

I would love to listen to musics with you sometime.

Slow club-
http://www.myspace.com/slowclub
pretty. i liek them AT THE MOMENT. found them on the weekend.

Johnny Flynn
First person to open my eyes to folk. Love his voice.

Brendan Campbell.
Dont know much about him but he's kinda like folk meets acoustic reggae - only got a few of his songs but i lve them and i am too scared to buy more incase they arent as good

Fleet Foxes
Harkness almost to PET SOUNDS - Beachboys. Really pretty laid bak musics ) i even bought the CD cos te album rtwork is great

Listen to SWAY, he a rapper dude but SAY it TWICE is one of my favourite moern hip hop tracks.

LAURA MARLING has SUCH pretty voice. So easy to melt into your thoughts while listening to her. my favourite is New Romantic

NOWon a slightly different note

I ADORE KINGS OF LEON and their last two albyus especially - Bause of the times is one of my favouriets.

And Cajun Dance Party

Crystal Castles
Super funky electro - Lots of lovely Blip Blop noises


POSTAL SERVICE one of my favourite bands of last year (GIVE UP is thieir only alub i thitknk but some of the remixes of their songs are great

NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL introduced to m by BERGE. really good (semi-old apparentl clt following) indie band

LUDIVICO ENAUDI is BEEEUATIFUL modern classical musics. buy ANYTHING look at myspace of his.

MIA Sri Lanka rude gal elctro hip hop-sih in parts

SNTOGOLD similar genre to MIA

KANYE's new album isnt bad from the songs i heard... dont hate me for saying that

ADELE's album - 19 is BRILLIANT one of the nicest surpriswes of this year for me.Saw her live she was goooo

MGMT - first got turned onto the becuase radiohead were talkingabout them. They are nothing like radiohead. One of the best bands of this year again. Very happy-hippy-electro. NICE.

"

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:

From what I can glean, I wrote this in the dark, maybe drunk, maybe other, I know my computer at the time had a slightly temperamental keyboard as well. QUite a random selection as well.

Slow club - they have/had one of the prettiest songs i know. It was a one-listen-love-it song: Lets fall back in love (love this live version... makes me happy(er). Enjoy them. Let them make YOU happy. So basically I still love this song but they are not part of my daily life.



Johnny Flynn on the other hand is still part of my daily life whilst still being the brother of Jerome Flynn (apparently) but you can't hold that against him. I love his voice. I adore the richness of the noises he makes. First Ablum A Larum is so easy to listen to and even easier to play whilst having a superb conversation (that is not meant in a bad way). There will be moment where everyone just stops and listens. BEAUTIFUL.

The Wrote and the Writ is a massive fave and archetypal Flynn track. Lilting. Jaunty. Smooth. Intelligent. New album - Kentucky Pill I think is due out in a few weeks and he is performing at Rough Trade East not too long after! I'll be there.
Johnny Flynn - The Wrote And The Writ by The Green Bird Heard


Brendan Campbell - a bit of a phase. Don't get me wrong, worth a listen but I haven't gone back to him much. Always a pleasure when he pops up. Yard of Blond Girls is a treat


Fleet Foxes - WHERE TO START? Pretty much my favourite find of the last few years. I know few people who feel differently. A dear tattoo-ed, mathcore loving, devil worshipping friend of mine melts at their mention.


The best part is (It's not the BEST part but I figured hyperbole is so much easier) the First Aid Kit cover of Tiger Mountain Pleasant

SWAY - Say it Twice - Don't get me wrong. Love UK Grime (and ting) BUT i was never enamoured by Sway. Like his britishness. He's no Bizzle (if you ask me). This is a genius track. Live. Might not be polished, but I am a SUCKER for live music and he got style.


Laura Marling - I just want to reiterate what i said above but add a few little bits like (i am going to see her in Hyde Park WOOOOOO and I Speak Because I Can is IN-CREDIBLE. Go sort yourself out. Go see her. NOW. Seriously. Now please

Kings of Leon - We've all heard of them and probably heard them as well. I still say that Because of the Times is the GREATEST album I have ever heard off the first listen and easily the best coupled with that caveat. It is also central to one of my favourite memories of my life, my times in Bristol and a dear dear friend. So. Thanks for that. Thought I'd add my favourite opening track of an album into that mixer at my first ever Glastonbury. Bliss. Sheer, unadulterated BLISS. [SPLURGE]


Cajun Dance Party - somehow, ended up being my album of that year, I still listen to them every now and then. I think the The Hill, The View, The Lights is awesome. A product of the UCS band factory that just exsponged Bombay Bicycle Club. I saw them live not too long after and their lead singer was a P-R-I-C-K. I fell out of love with them quickly despite the plethora of blip-blop and beautiful male vs female vocal intertwineyness. Well worth a listen. Big in Japan. EXACTLY!

Cajun Dance Party - The Hill, The View & The Lights by likeafox

Crystal Castles - Like Cajun Dance Party, but for adults. Sweaty, jumpy-aroundy, sparkly adults. Alice is a liability in the best possible way. A friends speaks of a time that she so desperately wanted to crowd surf against the wishes of the security peoples that she used a fire extinguisher to get her way. I doth my cap to her. And she's hot. And their music is on the freaking darker side of flourescent. Imagine eating what you thought was popping candy and it turn out to be loads of little mines. In you braaaaaaaiiiiiiinnnnn. There you go.

Postal Service - *INSTA-CREAM* Ok. I am seriously at a loss as you where to start. So i will start, expand and finish quickly. Find them listen to them. *INSTA-CREAM* I will probably write my autobiography based around explaining how awesome they are. They epitomise the kind of music I wish I could make. Just. Go. Listen. To. Them.*INSTA-CREAM*
Such Great *INSTA-CREAM* Heights Still fills me full of a sickeningly euphoric feeling (listen with both headphones in turned up to JUST above to loud)*INSTA-CREAM*
*INSTA-CREAM*
THEN listen to Ben Fold work his wizardry. Love the gimmicks. Love the product! *INSTA-CREAM*



Neutral Milk Hotel - I shall re-iterate that they apparently have a niché cult-ish following. You can tell by the tone of Jeff Mangum's voice (he's a recluse don't y'know) that they are a 90s band plus their strumming having the tiniest of tiny 'semplences to Smashing Pumpkins. The part that turned me on and got me hooked and yes, I still listen to this part over and over again (GEEK) was the transition between the two parts of King of Carrot Flowers PLUS the break down of Two-Headed Boy into wonderful trumpets of The Fool. I've attached the latter below. Wait and listen to them BOTH.
Sorry I couldn't find a prettier way of doing this


Ludovico Enaudi - I have a difficult situation on my hands. I am not massively well versed in contemporary classical music (apart from Concerto for Beatbox - Shlomo again) so I am not sure where to start here. Rarely have I been so empowered with so much emotion evoked in such a short space of time - roughly 25 minutes of listening initially. This man has a deft touch, and erotically clever ability to form a theme, not deviate to far from it whilst still keeping every minute unique and captivating. No matter where you are, you will be swept away. Pianos. Vocals. (Recently) combining a full orchestra. Melody in abundance. Beautiful. Enchanting. Ambiguous...Worthy.


M.I.A. - Everyone's heard Paper Planes - if you haven't WAKE UP and go listen to it. It is AWESOME. Overplayed but awesome. Also fairly true to what this freaky Sri Lankan chick is all about. Think chucky South Asian beats mixed a touch of danchall with North West london raaaahhuuuuugal twang and you got the sound. Add a shizload of bright colours, high-tops and imagination and you got something that I would challenge you to stay still while listening to.
I was first turned onto Bucky Done Gone - CHECK IT. cool video.

Sorry it had to be done - sorry Ginger (capital intentional) people

M.I.A, Born Free from ROMAIN-GAVRAS on Vimeo.


Kanye - can go fudge himself. BUT. I cant help but not dislike him. Don't hate me. I think i already said that. Just listen to 808s and Heartbreak. I liked it. That is all.

Adele - Easily one of my favourites to come out of the soulful, good-voiced, throwback female vocalists. Winehouse, yeah she's aright. Adele. KERRRwality. I don't buy CDs often. Who does? I ended up buying 5 copies of this and gave one to each member of my family and then I had to replace a copy I gave to a friend who would not give it back (even after she'd ripped it). I hear a new album is on it's way this year. I CANNOT WAIT. I will be pre-ordering it I think and I look forward to writing about it. You got a Dusty Springfield-esque voice, crystal clear, precise tone. Lyrically there are some really nice twists and turns plus the odd turn of phrase that hits you square in the chest. If you know what heartbreak feels like then this is empathy, sympathy and something else ending in pathy bottle and then smeared on your iPod. I do not think i have ever started listening to this and not ended up listening to the whole thing through.
Have a listen to Melt my hear to Stone - this one cuts me deep - never give your heart to someone if they are going to disgard it...
Hometown Glory is a bit of a two-fingers-up-to-you-motherfucking motherfucker. Its a stand up and be counted, come-and-have-a-go BELTER. Everyone needs one of these in their life for those times when you are infinitely downtrodden and feeling RUHUHUBISH.

I'm going to go off and listen to the album..... NOW

MGMT - I'm getting tired now so I might be less enthusiastic that when I started. Here goes.
SPARKLE SPARKLE. JANGLE JANGLE. DINGLE DONGLE BLIP BLOP BLIP BLOP. WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS.
I loved this for a long time. It became my stalwart recommendation to everyone and since joined in annuls by Vampire Weekend, Mumford & sons etc.
Any band that consists of a Ben Goldwasser and an Andrew VanWyngarden will clearly either be sh!t or extraordinary. We luckily got the latter of the two. You'lla probably heard Kids. You know the one... doo-doo-doo-doo da. da. da. da. That one.

My main criticism of these guys (and it is wavering a little bit) is that they are not good live. It's not that they are uninspiring but more that they aren't very good. They turn all glam rocky which I love but this is slightly lacking in the glam bit. I am purposely avoiding describing the music so I will try and be really hirsute and sum them up in a catchy sentence (this may fail)...
You got the more electro-side of glam-rock and you got some fancy pants evocative/scathing lyrics all that wrapped up in a brightly coloured turbo-hippy contemporary psychadelic bundle...



Listened to their latest - Flash Delirium. Was all that impressive if you ask me.


HoneyPie

No comments:

Post a Comment