Friday 14 May 2010

The Wild Furs @ The Dublin Castle (they use real fur)


You might be at school, you might be a young profession, you might be an old professional BUT everyone has a friend who has a band and they're really good (mainly because they are their friend). So I've got a friend. He's in a band. THEY'RE really good. Honestly. If I hadn't known them and I'd seen them by chance, I would have been really impressed and equally happy to have found them. I know this mainly because by the end of their second song, all the people who had filed out after watching their mates play filed back in and then some.


The Wild Furs' 3/4 gig, second headlining spot (already) and they are absolutely SMASHING it. The started as a duo Sahil 'Hill' Rishi and Adam Sweeney playing beautiful acousticy folk-rock. Played around and started to form the band (maaaan). In came John Fox and Kane Dorey (clearly born to be a rock star with that name) and KABAAAM, first gig on March 11th at the Hope and Anchor, Islington. Clearly slightly nervous, they rocked out.

Almost exactly two months later. I was on my own this time (six months on from the greatest day of my life - you know if you know. I was feeling pretty rubbish so I went out for a hair cut, a run and a long shower) and so I watched the warm up bands. They were good - I'll come onto them -but my legs were aching so I sat down at the back. THEN, a few things happened. Two awesome mates turned up. My second Grolsch appeared in my hand. The Wild Furs started. Immediately obvious that they were more confident, loved their own songs and were having a VERY good time. I got up and along with the 100 or so (I have no idea how many people were there but it was ramajammed) other people went nuts for it.

So what do they ACTUALLY sound like? Personally, they are much better live than in their early recordings embedded above but that'll give you an idea.

Favourites Overrated and the belter Hey You. When Hey you broke down into a touch of a ska-ish beat, I almost creamed myself. I had a chat with them after and much to my delight (and slight smugness) they are in the midst of writing a full on, bow-bow-bowchicka bow-bow ska tune. I am excited.






Adam - I have a habit of watching everyone but the front man. I made an exception in this case.








John - only been playing for a little while. You'da never guessed. Consistent. Loved the noises he created









Hill - he just needs to perfect the knowing 'I'm awesome' nod to the crowd.







Kane - Animal (not from the muppets). I mean, he is an animal.











The Wild Furs - "all that's missing is the arrogant swagger. That'll come. Soon." you can use that if you want boys

No comments:

Post a Comment