Friday 21 May 2010

Marina and the Diamonds are we?


Went to see Marina and the Diamonds last night. Supported by Sparks.

Sparks was standard - pretty, edgy HoxDitchy kinda girl. Powder white makeup with China Red lipstick and thick dark eyeliner. Can’t find anything of her online. She was alright. Very quickly, everything she did sounded samey and knowing what was to come, I knew Marina and her Diamonds would do it better. That’s all on her. (Personally I think she was lucky to get a sentence no?)

Marina came out. She was, as usual, petite, stunning, Welsh… Legs - two of them. I swooned a little when she said she was loosing her voice because of too many ‘secret ciggies’. Very adorable.

For those of you who don’t know her, here are my three favourites.

A friend (same one who told me to look out for Arctic Monkeys all those years ago) introduced me to her a few years ago by playing me I am not a Robot tell me she is ‘fit AND AWESOME’ and I have stuck with her ever since.

Marina and the Diamonds - I Am Not A Robot by unichan86

Obssession is just a cool song and highlights her for what she does best – like a welsh person.

Marina and the Diamonds - Obsessions by Kennson

Hollywood (acoustic) – I am sucker for acoustic version of almost any song and this (close-to) epitomises why.

Marina And The Diamonds - Hollywood (Acoustiс) by apelzin

In my opinion, she is keyboardy based synthy-poppy stuff(y). No guitar but a base. I found, that, having not done all my revision and so not knowing all the songs intimately, many of them sounded the same. She came across as very polished and had a fair amount of stage production backing her including a fan or something blowing her hair gently maybe to imitate the album cover? She did some micro-choreography which looked good but felt a little bit fakeish. All the way through, I imagined her doing exactly the same 10/15 years ago infront of her family/mirror with her friends.

I’m fairly sure ever heterosexual male left there in love but, y’know what, as usual, I was happy to have gone, especially considering there will be a direct correlation between the exponential growth in her popularity and the size of venues she will be playing. But I think I will leave it for now unless she appears at my door and stuff (did i mention she is VERY pretty?). THAT was a fancypants sentence if ever there was one…

Thanks.

I have to give a SPECIAL honourable mention to the venue though. BLOOMSBURY BALLROOM. IT. WAS. BEAUTIRRIFIC. Amazing Art Deco features, cool bar/chillouty area and some pretty micro-booths. MASSIVE INSTA-FAN.

NICE.

No comments:

Post a Comment